Plastic slatted Venetian blinds make an affordable and practical window dressing solution for almost any room in your home. Although they're pretty easy to clean, plastic Venetian blinds do gather static electricity and that makes them rather prone to attracting dust. An accumulation of dust not only looks unsightly, it is also bad news for anyone in your family who suffers from allergies. Although you can never eradicate dust completely from your home environment, it is possible to significantly reduce the amount of static buildup on your blinds that in turn attracts the dust. Read on to find out how.
How to make your own static repellent dust cloth
One important factor in keeping your plastic Venetian blinds free from dust is cleaning them on a regular basis to remove any static build-up. A special dust repellent cloth will help to achieve this.
What you'll need
- washing-up liquid
- hot water
- clean, lint-free cloths
- Put a litre of hot water into a clean bucket. Add a generous helping of washing-up liquid, together with two teaspoons of turpentine.
- Mix everything thoroughly, and then stir in several clean, lint-free cloths. Leave the cloths in the mixture overnight, so that they are thoroughly soaked and impregnated with the solution.
- Hang the cloths out on a line where air can circulate freely around them and let them dry completely.
- Store the cloths in an airtight container.
How to make dust-repellent, anti-static spray
What you'll need
- liquid fabric softener (choose a scent that you like)
- spray bottle
- Take a clean, empty spray bottle and label it "Anti-static spray".
- Pour one capful of liquid fabric freshener into the bottle and fill it up with warm water. Shake the bottle vigorously, so that the contents are thoroughly combined.
How to make your plastic Venetian blinds static-proof
Now that you have the right tools for the job, here's how to static-proof your blinds.
- Using the hose with the soft brush attachment, vacuum any surface dust from your blinds.
- Next, spray one of the static-repellent dust cloths with anti-static spray.
- Wipe down both sides of each slat of the Venetian blinds.
Your blinds will be left clean and shiny and less prone to attracting static electricity, and your room will smell delightfully fresh.
You can treat your plastic Venetian blinds with a homemade anti-static cloth and spray to help keep dust at bay. Just follow the guidelines above and make your home a healthier, cleaner place.